Veteran Services


Helping Veterans with Compensation Services for Injuries

During the last two years we have focused on helping veterans with reviewing and increasing the level of compensation they are receiving. We have several success stories which we will share. If you are a veteran and are receiving compensation for injuries incurred on active duty or in Guard/Reserves, we can assist you.

We work with veterans from the Vietnam, Desert Storm, Iraqi Freedom, and operations in Afghanistan. Our team have all gone to the process in upgrading veterans’ claims. Our method includes outsourcing to two organizations who will ultimately ensure adjudication of your case.

You can file and submit all forms online and we will guide your through this process. We also have a YouTube channel in which we keep you updated on the latest veteran’s news (@retiredfirstsergeantforlife) is our channel.

Veteran Compensation & Benefit Services

Benefits Delivery At Discharge (BDD)

If you are separating from active duty within the next 60 to 180 days, BDD can help you receive VA disability benefits sooner.

What Is Benefits Delivery at Discharge (BDD)?

The Benefits Delivery at Discharge (BDD) Program allows a servicemember to apply for disability compensation benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) prior to retirement or separation from military service.

How Can BDD Help Me?

BDD is offered to accelerate receipt of VA disability benefits, with a goal of providing benefits within 60 days after release or discharge from active duty. BDD allows a servicemember with at least 60 days, but not more than 180 days, remaining on active duty to file a VA disability claim prior to separation. BDD requires a minimum of 60 days to allow sufficient time to complete the medical examination process (which may involve multiple specialty clinics) prior to separation from service.

How Do I Get Started?

Submit VA Form 21-526, Veteran’s Application for Compensation and/or Pension, and submit it to the nearest VA Regional Office. You can also complete your application on-line at VA’s website using the Veterans Online Application (VONAPP).

For the VA Regional Office nearest you, call the VA toll free number at 1-800-827-1000. Submit your service treatment records. Either your original records or copies are acceptable. Attend and complete all phases of your VA/DoD medical separation examination process.

Where Can I Get An Application?

VA Form 21-526 can be downloaded from the VA website at An on-line application can also be submitted on that website using the Veterans Online Application (VONAPP). You may also call VA toll free at 1-800-827-1000 to have a claim form mailed to you. Remember, to fully participate in the BDD Program, you must submit VA Form 21-526, along with a copy of your service treatment records (or original), and be available to attend and complete all phases of the VA/DoD medical separation examination.

What Else Should I Know?

BDD is a time-sensitive process. To receive your VA disability benefits within the goal of 60 days following separation, you must submit your claim 60 to 180 days prior to your release or retirement from active duty. This time is needed to complete your medical examinations before you leave your point of separation. If you are closer than 60 days to separation from service, you can submit a Quick Start claim. Call the VA today at 1-800-827-1000 to learn about this process and get started.

How Can I Get More Information?

If you are on a military installation, contact your local Transition Assistance Office or ACAP Center (Army only) to schedule appointments to attend VA benefits briefings and learn how to initiate your claim. You can also call the VA toll-free number, 1-800-827-1000. Be sure to visit and for 24/7 access to helpful pre-separation and transition guides; employment, education, and relocation information, benefits checklist; and more.

VA Benefits for Servicemembers

There are a variety of VA benefits available to servicemembers.

What Type of Insurance Benefit Is Available?

Servicemembers are eligible for up to a maximum of $400,000 in life insurance under Servicemembers’ Group Life Insurance (SGLI). Spousal coverage is available up to a maximum of $100,000 while children are automatically covered for $10,000 at no cost. Any member of the uniformed services covered by SGLI is eligible for a traumatic injury protection rider (TSGLI) that provides payments between $25,000 and $100,000 to members who have a traumatic injury and suffer losses such as, but not limited to, amputations, blindness, and paraplegia.

What Type of Education Benefits Are Available?

Education benefits are available to active duty and full-time National Guard personnel who have served for at least two years and have contributed $1200 under the Montgomery GI Bill (Chapter 30), and members of the Selected Reserve (includes National Guard) that are certified as eligible under the Montgomery GI Bill – Select Reserve (Chapter 1606). The Chapter 30 program is limited to payment for tuition and fees while the Chapter 1606 program provides a monthly stipend.

What Type of Home-Related Benefits Are Available?

Persons on active duty are eligible for a VA home loan guaranty after serving on continuous active duty for 90 days. Servicemembers going through a pre-discharge claim program who are found to have service-connected conditions that will be rated as compensable, are exempt from the loan guaranty funding fee.

What Type of Financial Assistance Is Available for Purchasing a Vehicle?

To be eligible for financial assistance to purchase a vehicle or to adapt a vehicle to accommodate a disability, a servicemember must have certain qualifying disabilities (e.g. loss or permanent loss of use or one or both hands) that were incurred during active military service.

What Type of Health Care Benefits Are Available?

VA health care facilities are available to active duty servicemembers in emergency situations and upon referral by military treatment facilities through Sharing Agreements or under your TRICARE coverage.

Is the Medal of Honor Pension Payable to Active Duty Personnel?

Active duty personnel who have been awarded the Medal of Honor and determined to be eligible by one of the service departments are entitled to receive a special Medal of Honor pension from the VA.

Can a Claim for Benefits be Filed Prior to Separation?

Yes. Servicemembers may file disability claims prior to separation from active or full-time duty through the Benefits Delivery at Discharge or Quick Start programs. Servicemembers may file claims for disability compensation, pension, vocational rehabilitation, automobile allowance, and special adapted housing prior to separation. VA employees will assist in the filing and preparation of the claim as well as adjudicate the claim as quickly as possible following separation. Additionally, VA offers counseling and claims assistance to separating servicemembers throughout the United States and around the world through the Transition Assistance Program (TAP) and Disabled Transition Assistance Program (DTAP).

For More Information
Visit the Veterans Benefits Administration Web Site or call toll free:

Disability Benefits/General Information



Health Benefits

Veterans Benefits Administration References

Web Automated Reference Material System (WARMS)